Since I’ve launched 40 Days To A Completed Ebook, I’ve had a bundle of questions and conversations concerning the why + hows of e-book writing and publishing.
So I assumed I’d take a while and write some posts so that you can reply them.
I’ve already written about Why Profitable Ladies Entrepreneurs Select To Write Books and seven Methods To Discover Your Genuine Voice As A Author.
- 0.1 At this time, I assumed I’d allow you to in behind the scenes on how I’ve bought nicely over $1 million in books.
- 0.2 Historical past Time!
- 0.3 Doing the brief, sharp deadline mode of making doesn’t simply work for graphic memoirs both.
- 0.4 I want to make clear right here:
- 0.5 Now the place have been we?
- 0.6 I stored running a blog, and began operating retreats, doing teaching and operating e-courses.
- 0.7 I seemed round to see if there was any books on the market that I might fill out to assist me set objectives. However every part I discovered had two main points:
- 0.8 Since 2010, the workbooks have gone on to:
- 0.9 In that point, I’ve additionally gone by way of several types of publishing:
- 1 Now, let’s speak about what made the distinction between promoting fuck all books and promoting a fuck tonne of books!
- 1.1 #1: Writing the e-book is 10% of the job. Advertising is 90%.
- 1.2 #2: The three most essential elements of promoting: Testimonials. Testimonials. Testimonials.
- 1.3 #three: It’s not sufficient simply to provide fucking hyperlinks to Amazon. You want a gross sales web page!
- 1.4 #four: Keep related together with your readers. They’ve obtained bonza concepts!
- 1.5 #5: Supply it each digital and printed
- 1.6 #6: This one tip will make you WAY extra money!
- 1.7 #7: Get your bundling smarts on!
- 2 So many prospects!
At this time, I assumed I’d allow you to in behind the scenes on how I’ve bought nicely over $1 million in books.
I’ll share with you each the historical past and the how-to’s.
Historical past Time!
I’ve ALWAYS needed to put in writing a guide. In case you had requested me once I was 4 what I needed to do once I grew up, I might have stated the identical factor I used to be already doing: writing books and making artwork.
The primary ebook I keep in mind creating was a e-book referred to as Cyclone Charlie. It was the true story of our cattle farm being hit by a cyclone. I dictated it to my Mum, and illustrated every web page. I nonetheless keep in mind the web page the place I described how the rain made small waterfalls down the mountains.
That’s me at about that age, child sister on hip.
Writing and illustrating books was my future, the factor that was positive in my bones. It was only a matter of time earlier than that may be my job.
I began running a blog once I was 21, and wrote my first guide once I was 22.
That guide was like a graphic memoir – I simply didn’t realise that was the identify for it! I simply did it intuitively, combining artwork and phrases as I’ve all the time carried out in my journals.
To get that ebook written, I set myself a very brief, sharp deadline: write it and have it out there on the market inside one month. I used to be working full time within the public service, so the e-book was written in lunch hours, on the bus, at night time and on weekends.
I feel that’s the factor: everyone assumes that to put in writing a guide, you want huge swathes of time. You don’t. You simply want to use your power to the factor and get it donesville.
I do know that if I set a extra “practical” deadline of say, six months, I might NEVER get the e-book finished. An excessive amount of would come up within the meantime, and the months would go by, and it nonetheless wouldn’t be accomplished.
Through the use of the Wild Donkey technique, I dedicate my focus to being immersed in getting one undertaking carried out and completed as quickly as attainable.
A month or so later, it was written, and right here’s the place I introduced its launch again in 2005.
Right here’s somewhat little bit of what it seemed like on the within:
Doing the brief, sharp deadline mode of making doesn’t simply work for graphic memoirs both.
I’ve additionally executed a 40,000 phrase enterprise guide in that point as properly. (That ebook was then become my Double Your Biz e-course. I’ve retired that now, however will launch a brand new up to date enterprise course this yr.)
Once more – I wrote that 40,000+ phrase enterprise e-book once I had a LOT of different issues on my plate as properly. I used to be within the last levels of my second being pregnant, and horrifically ailing with hyperemesis gravidarum. At that time, I spent most of my day bedridden, and acquired a small reprieve from the debilitating nausea by late afternoon. It was sufficient to have the ability to sit upright and have the ability to assume considerably.
I might set myself a deadline of writing three,000 phrases earlier than the solar set over the rainforest. I’d take frequent vomit breaks to expire to my workplace balcony and vomit over the garden for the forest animals to eat. I’d hold writing as a lot as I might earlier than the sickness swallowed me entire once more and despatched me again to mattress.
I want to make clear right here:
I’m actually huge on sane, wholesome working practices, good self care and nice work/life stability. I don’t need to share this story to be a martyr of “Too dangerous in case you’re sick! I used to be sick too!”
There’s all totally different sorts of life circumstances. Within the earlier levels of my being pregnant sickness, I used to be chronically debilitated and in hospital typically, so this type of venture wasn’t going to work for me.
By the point I did take the challenge on, I used to be six months into the being pregnant and nonetheless fucked up however not AS fucked up. I additionally desperately wanted SOMETHING to consider aside from the distress of my sickness. So although it was nonetheless difficult to tug off, it was what I wanted.
I’m undoubtedly taking the identical Wild Donkey strategy with my 40 Days To A Completed Guide e-course… nevertheless it undoubtedly nonetheless might be accomplished whether or not you’re working full-time, parenting or having “life stuff” happening.
Okay, that’s barely off monitor.
Now the place have been we?
Ahh sure! My first ebook! I launched it, and I bought a number of hundred copies. On the time I used to be completely delighted. For me, it was much less about revenue and extra about OMG! I truly DID THE THING! I WROTE THE BOOK!
Typically the reward of finishing a artistic factor shouldn’t be the income or recognition, it’s concerning the satisfaction and pleasure of accomplishment. As I all the time say:
Momentum breeds Momentum.
Finishing a venture like a e-book may help you turn out to be much more productive and really feel much more fulfilled.
Truthfully although, I used to be fairly shithouse with regards to advertising the ebook. That was within the early days of my enterprise. Now once I launch books, I do know the advertising of it’s going to be the driving issue for its success.
I stored running a blog, and began operating retreats, doing teaching and operating e-courses.
Come December 2009, I used to be working part-time at my authorities job and pregnant with my first youngster. I knew the approaching yr can be intense, and that the initiation into motherhood. By that time, I’d additionally began setting objectives and discovering simply how highly effective that was. So I made a decision to provide myself the present of setting objectives for 2010 to maintain me sane and impressed throughout my first yr of motherhood.
I seemed round to see if there was any books on the market that I might fill out to assist me set objectives. However every part I discovered had two main points:
- they weren’t complete – I needed to go deeper than simply “set three objectives!”
- they have been black and white and company and felt actually masculine.
I needed one thing that was inspiring to fill out and rainbowy AND additionally helped information me by way of setting objectives for each space of my life and enterprise.
So I made a decision to create one thing FOR ME to make use of. I spent three days round Christmas time creating my objectives workbook, and I beloved it a lot I assumed it will be enjoyable to pop on-line and promote as a PDF and see if anybody else needed to make use of it. I assumed it will be tremendous cool if like 10 individuals purchased it.
I went on to promote over 1000 workbook PDFs that yr which was SO groovy.
Right here’s me and my darling Charlie doggy. Sitting in our yard, filling out my very first objectives workbook.
Since 2010, the workbooks have gone on to:
- be utilized by over 350,000 individuals worldwide (!!!!!!)
- turn into worldwide bestsellers
- hit #1 and #three bestseller SIMULTANEOUSLY on Amazon AU for ALL FREAKING BOOKS (!!!!)
- generated properly over $1m in income (in all probability over $2m – I want to return to rely all of the years!)
In that point, I’ve additionally gone by way of several types of publishing:
- I began out promoting as a PDF solely
- A few years later, I began promoting it as print on demand by means of Amazon’s self-publishing service
- A number of years after that, I made a decision to attempt printing in China as an alternative and utilizing distribution homes in three nations. I employed loads of employees to attempt to deal with the elevated workload, and realised simply how a lot I hated managing employees and logistics. I wrote about my choice to cease doing that right here.
- I went again to utilizing Amazon’s print-on-demand service whereas I scouted for a publishing deal for the workbooks.
- I signed a multi-book publishing cope with BenBella publishing. They now do all of the printing and publishing logistics, and I concentrate on what I’m nice at: writing books and advertising them.
Me, stoked at not having to handle delivery logistics anymore.
There are execs and cons for all publishing routes, and what’s best for you will change over your small business profession. I’ll undergo the behind-the-scenes particulars of the professionals and cons of all of them in 40 Days To A Completed E-book. I’ll speak about what’s extra worthwhile, what’s best and what provides you probably the most credibility, and easy methods to maximise all of those.
Now, let’s speak about what made the distinction between promoting fuck all books and promoting a fuck tonne of books!
Once I look again at the place I began with ebook writing and the outcomes I acquired then to the outcomes I received now, there are some actually massive issues I did in a different way.
Let me inform you the important thing items of making ebook success.
#1: Writing the e-book is 10% of the job. Advertising is 90%.
Which will make you groan, however it’s true. You should spend WAY LONGER advertising the guide than you assume it’s worthwhile to.
Should you assume “if it’s an incredible guide, it’ll converse for itself! I gained’t need to promote it in any respect!”… you’re improper. Sorry mate, it simply doesn’t work like that.
“Simply placing it on the market” isn’t sufficient. It’s lazy. And it isn’t of service to the world.
In case you’ve spent all that point in creating one thing, it’s essential make investments time in ensuring that the individuals who would care about it and discover it helpful truly HEAR about it within the first place.
I’ll speak extra concerning the how-to’s of guide advertising within the course.
#2: The three most essential elements of promoting: Testimonials. Testimonials. Testimonials.
I as soon as requested a really well-known copywriter what the three most necessary elements of a gross sales web page have been. Her reply? Testimonials, testimonials, testimonials.
The identical is true for books.
- Have testimonials for the guide within the first few pages of the e-book – the extra the higher!
- Give advance copies away in change for a evaluation on Amazon or Goodreads.
- Contemplate making a gift of books to peeps with a profile who’ve comparable pursuits as your goal market. You possibly can even get a bit polished with it and do it up as a cute package deal. I’ve despatched my books to bloggers with chocolate, tea and pens in wrapping paper – all of the provides they wanted to have a stunning time with my ebook!
- Ask individuals on the finish of your guide to go away a evaluate on Amazon or Goodreads in the event that they adore it.
- Collate all of your testimonials and critiques in your gross sales web page.
Talking of which…
A gross sales web page is an extended, complete web page giving individuals EVERYTHING they should find out about as a way to BUY!
There’s some REALLY necessary elements to a gross sales web page together with:
- a gross sales video
- who the ebook is for
- how the ebook helps
- why you’re the greatest individual to study from
- advantages and outcomes
- and an enormous name to motion.
I’ll go into all these intimately within the course, however I actually need to reiterate: STOP JUST SENDING PEOPLE TO AMAZON TO BUY. YOU NEED TO SELL THE FUCK OUT OF THE BOOK FIRST SO THEY WILL ACTUALLY BUY IT!
It’s a part of the rationale why I’ve a 17,000-person-strong Fb group for objectives workbook customers!
That means, I get to listen to when individuals are confused by one thing, LOVE one thing and need extra of it, ask a few sure function or need one other companion product sooner or later.
Your readers have nice concepts. They love your factor, they usually may also help provide you with methods to make it higher and write much more books!
#5: Supply it each digital and printed
It’s SO a lot simpler than it was 10 years in the past to self-publish books each digitally and in print. I’ve tried a couple of providers, however hold coming again to Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing. They previously have been referred to as Createspace, however it’s all merged into one platform now.
#6: This one tip will make you WAY extra money!
This one is SUCH a easy tip, however can massively improve your $$$ revenue.
Get your pen and paper out, and write it down!
Whenever you do level to Amazon for individuals to purchase your guide, MAKE SURE you’re utilizing your personal Amazon affiliate hyperlink.
You possibly can enroll as an Amazon affiliate right here.
This manner you receives a commission TWICE.
Firstly, you get the royalties from when your guide is purchased.
Secondly, you get the affiliate charges (as much as 10%!) for referring individuals to purchase from Amazon. You’ll additionally get affiliate charges for anything they purchase in that order as nicely!
Twice the # of checks… JUST for utilizing one hyperlink!
#7: Get your bundling smarts on!
You need to encourage peeps to BUY NOW and BUY MORE!
Think about having:
- pre-order sale/supply
- early hen low cost/supply
- package deal low cost.
You may supply your ebook at a reduced fee for both pre-orders or those that order within the first week of launch.
You would additionally supply BONUSES as an alternative. Right here’s some nice concepts for bonuses:
- e-book membership Fb group
- companion workbook
- companion e-course
- tickets to an occasion you’re operating
- giant free bundle supply with different authors and academics in your area.
You possibly can additionally supply your e-book and considered one of your different paid choices collectively at a particular price to drive gross sales and curiosity.
So many prospects!
There are SO some ways you’ll be able to drive gross sales on your guide… bringing you extra revenue, shoppers and skilled standing.
I’ll be going into extra particulars on all of this stuff + far more in my e-course beginning 1 April, so when you’re able to get your e-book out on the planet making miracles, ensure you leap in.
I’m so completely happy to assist with the whole lot I do know and have discovered… and need to assist make your path simpler, extra joyful and ample due to it!
I so hope this has been helpful.
And I can’t wait to see your guide infants out on the planet, making their magic as they’re alleged to do!
Study the book-writing and book-marketing secrets and techniques
of an internationally best-selling writer.
Get your e-book DONE and out on the earth in 40 days!
Enrolments shut March 31!